Return to Learn Update: 10/26/2020
River Bend Families,
With the recent downgrade in Covid Region 1, I wanted to provide an update. Schools are exempt from the additional restrictions. However, we will continue to work very diligently, to keep our spaces clean, continue wearing our masks, socially distance, and wash hands frequently.
Overall, River Bend Schools have had a great first quarter. Our PK-5 buildings have had zero positive student cases. River Bend Middle School has only had 3 positive cases. Fulton High School has averaged about 2 positive student cases per week. We have also only had 2 positive staff cases. On a daily basis we average about 8-12 student quarantines due to family exposure, positive family cases, or symptoms. Staff have needed to quarantine at times as well. Thank you all for informing us as early as possible when your children have symptoms or you have a positive case in your household. Please keep up the great work! As I monitor the 61252 and 61230 zip codes and compare the data to the rest of Whiteside County, we have seen a smaller number of increasing COVID cases compared to the surrounding communities. I am grateful that Fulton and Albany areas remain vigilant with COVID precautions.
- Return to Five Days a week - Starting Monday, November 23rd, all our buildings will bring back students on Mondays. Because we continue to serve about 90 families in the remote setting, our school day will continue to end around 1:00 PM. A decision to extend the school day is being evaluated and considered.
- All students will be on-site by Wednesday, November 4th - We appreciate your patience as we have scaled to full capacity. Having all students on-site and maintaining COVID precautions is challenging, but doable. The teachers and support staff have worked diligently to manage the many new practices that follow adding students safely. We are excited to see the students each day. Today a bus was added to the Albany routes. Specific students on buses 10 and 2 will be shifted to newly added bus 4. Students/families needing to change buses will be notified by mid-week.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences are Monday, November 2nd - Each of the schools have sent out emails or made phone calls to schedule a conference. Conferences will take place virtually, by phone, or in-person. A virtual conference is preferred to maintain COVID precautions. Please contact your child’s teacher if a conference has not been scheduled and you would like to meet with the teacher.
- Flu Shots being offered at FHS and RBMS- Both schools have sent out information that provides details about a $20 flat fee flu shot to be given by CGH staff on-site at each school. Flu shots will be given on October 29th and 30th in the morning.
- Athletic Activities- We are closely monitoring what athletic activities the Governor, IHSA, and IESA will allow. As soon as a determination is made River Bend will be ready to offer athletic activities that meet the COVID safety standards.
Gratefully- Darryl Hogue