Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

River Bend School District

Board of Education


Ajax Loading Image


Weather update: Wednesday, Feb 22 - Thursday, Feb 23

Dear River Bend Families,

Because the weather pattern continues to shift when and if we will get any freezing rain tomorrow and Thursday, I wanted to provide an update from last week's cancellation and this week's possible decision for e-learning if we have to cancel school.

Our board, community and staff are split on what is the best thing to do when cancelling school e-learning or make-up day.  I believe that teachers being with students is the best way to instruct.  I also know that keeping our calendar has great value and that e-learning has merit.  The elementary school highly values being able to instruct students in the classroom in person.  The middle school and high school also value in person instruction, but can much more easily conduct classes remotely.  Families and students also enjoy the "snow day" concept without any planning or school work. 

As we talked about last week's weather at an admin meeting,  it was pointed out to me that if we cancelled school we could use the Monday after Easter and keep our end of year date the same.  Because the Easter holiday is four days after our spring break, we would be "okay" with days off and combating cabin fever.  I was also weighing the impact of an early release on Wednesday and not sure if our staff would be ready for an e-learning day.  

Any additional cancelled school days would have to be made up at the end of the year.  If Wednesday's or Thursday's weather prediction remains accurate and school has to be closed, River Bend will do its best to prepare students for an e-learning day on Wednesday and/or Thursday.  I am hopeful that our weather pattern will give us a break and we can have an uninterrupted Wednesday and Thursday.  At the moment rain is expected starting around 8:00 AM and temperatures will determine if the rain will begin to freeze.  Currently, temperatures are predicted to be 34 degrees and warming throughout the morning.  A call about weather will most likely have to be made tomorrow morning.  In the event of a cancellation, River Bend will have an e-learning day.  

We will do our best to communicate a decision at the earliest possible time.

Darryl Hogue